Apprentice Water Well Driller (General Labor)
Steffl Drilling & Pump is seeking an Apprentice Water Well Driller to work out of our Willmar, Minnesota location who will be responsible for assisting the drill crew chief in drilling techniques and help move, set up and operate drilling rigs and related equipment to drill wells. Because more wells are located in urban areas, you will have to travel to remote locations daily and spend time outdoors, and instead of a typical 40-hour week and 9 to 5 hours, work is performed until the job is complete. The work is loud and dirty and so you must be physically fit to use the large equipment. You must also have good customer service skills to interact with customers.
Compensation: (Scenario based on previous employee performance & company profits)
|Salary ($22/hr, OT after 40 hrs)||$47,092|
|Per Diem ($90/night cash)||$2,500|
|Performance Bonus (based on attendance, work ethic, and attitude)||$4,000|
|Profit Sharing (based on company profitability for the year, accrual begins after 1 year of service)||$3,250|
|Safety Bonus (based on accrual of consecutive injury free years)||$500|
|401k (4% employer match, begins after 1 year of service)||$1,750|
|Health Ins. (1/2 of employee premium paid pre-tax)||$3,000|
|Accrued Vacation & 5 Paid Holidays (accrual begins after 1 year of service)||$2,700|
- Pre-Trip inspects in AM and Post-Trip inspects at end of every day.
- Smoothly and quickly connect and disconnect the lower parts of the drill pipe when it is being lowered into and raised from the hole.
- Perform routine mechanical maintenance work on water well drilling rigs and equipment
- Load & unload vehicles for job at hand, i.e.: bits, drill rod, casing, and etc.
- In charge of strapping loads on vehicles
- Keep vehicles on drill site clean
- Keep mud pit shoveled clean
- Move drilling rig and equipment from site to site and set up
- Operate equipment such as pumps for air, water and drilling fluid, front end loaders, fork lifts – will train
- Assist drill chief in maintenance and repairs to drill rig and other duties as assigned by drill chief
Responsibilities & Qualifications:
- Must have good sales skills and make sure the customer is happy before you leave the yard.
- Know state codes on how to construct wells, to include isolation distances & grouting requirements
- Abide by safety and personal protective and equipment policies & procedures.
- Always wear a seat belt and never talk or text on a cell phone when driving.
- Attend regularly scheduled safety meetings and report all unsafe conditions to your Supervisor.
- Work long hours (12-14 hrs) if needed, work out of town & overnights up to 4 nights a week ($90/night per diem)
|Level of Education:||
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Must be able to speak, read and understand English
Lift and/or move up to 100lbs, work outside in the elements.
Employee is regularly required to: stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands & arms; talk or hear; or smell; walk; sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Clean MVR. Valid Driver’s License with CDL Class A (preferred) or CDL B License
Current medical card approved
Ability to obtain air brake, tanker and HAZMAT endorsements
|Drug testing:||Pre-employment and subject to DOT random testing requirements|
You Interested in Applying? Here's the Next Steps.
Download & Complete the Application
You can complete the application electronically or print and fill it out.
Print, Sign & Scan the Application
Print, sign, and scan your completed application so it can be sent to us. If you have any questions on the application, give us a call.
Send Us Your Completed Application
Send us your completed application via email to email@example.com or deliver it to our office.
Benefits of Working at Steffl Drilling & Pump
Paid Vacation + Holidays
After 1 year of service, you begin accruing PTO and holidays
Challenge & Opportunity
Career growth is in your hands - we'll present you with the opportunities
401K + Profit Sharing
4% match and profit sharing - that's free money
1.5x OT Pay + Per Diem
1.5x OT pay after 40 hrs and $90 cash each night you're out of town
1/2 Employee Premiums Pre-Tax
Let us help cut the costs for you and your loved ones
Paid Drive Time
We value your time, even when it's spent driving to and from the site
All of Our Career Opportunities Are Based Out of Willmar, Minnesota